Welcome Database Indexes Copyright/Disclaimer Login  

GIDDINGS, Albert (1858-1925) and Agnes (1862-1944)

Coach and Store Proprietors

Albert Giddings was born in Salisbury, England on 23 October 1858, the fourth child of Harriet and John Giddings. As a young man he served in the Royal Navy before emigrating to Australia. Agnes was born in Scone on 25 January 1862, the eldest child of William and Margaret Smart. On 1 May 1888 Agnes and Albert were married, the marriage being registered in Sydney. Later three sons were born – Albert J L. (Lance), born in 1889, Francis V born in 1891, and Harold G I born in 1896.

When the Government subdivided the Cronulla peninsula in 1895, Agnes and Albert Giddings purchased property and established a store on Gerrale Street. In 1906, a postal receiving office was set up at the store and Albert Giddings was awarded a contract to deliver mail by horse drawn coach between Sutherland and Cronulla.

The coming of the railway to Sutherland in 1885 attracted holiday makers and day trippers to the area in increasing numbers. Transport within the area for the few hundred permanent residents and visitors was limited to sulkies, springcarts, buggies, bicycles, and the like. With the growing popularity of beach bathing and living on the doorstep of Cronulla Beach, Giddings recognised the need to provide regular transport between the railway station at Sutherland and Cronulla. He set up a horse-drawn coach service which proved to be extremely popular. At the peak of operations the Gidding’s coach service was running five coaches serviced by a stable of fifty-six horses. In the Easter period of 1904, a newspaper reported that there were so many passengers that extra coaches had to be used to cope with the demand.

Travel by coach was not without its hazards to both drivers and passengers. The roads were poor, little more than dirt tracks, and accidents and delays were commonplace. The days of the horse-coach were numbered when the motor bus came to the shire in 1908. The opening of the Sutherland-Cronulla steam tramway in 1911 brought their era to a close. The Giddings family store continued to trade in Cronulla and their son, Lance set up his Real Estate agency on the site.

The Giddings family were very influential in the establishment of the Cronulla Catholic parish. The school, church and presbytery of St Aloysius Gonzaga Parish all stand on land previously owned by the Giddings family. In the early 1900s Cronulla was part of St Patrick’s Parish, Kogarah. Mass was celebrated twice a year for the local Catholics, in the home of Agnes and Albert Giddings by the Parish Priest, Father John O’Driscoll or his Assistant, Father Patrick Briody. The visiting priests enjoyed the Giddings hospitality and often stayed overnight in the home. In 1915 the Giddings family donated part of their land to the church and a small church-hall, fronting onto Curranulla (now Cronulla) Street was built.

In 1916, St Declans, Penshurst, separated from Kogarah and Cronulla became part of the parish administered by the parish priest, Father Michael O’Kelly. The growing Catholic community in the area persuaded Father O’Kelly to approach Archbishop Michael Kelly and press for the establishment of a Catholic school in the Sutherland Shire.

The Sisters of St Joseph who had established a school at Penshurst were approached and, in 1918, St Gonzaga Delaney and Sister Blandina O’Neill were appointed to open the first Catholic school in the Shire to be located at Cronulla.

A school photo dated 1919, during the first year of operation, indicates there was an enrolment of more than thirty children, some of whom travelled to school on the steam tram between Sutherland and Cronulla. At first the sisters travelled from Penshurst each day but soon took up residence in a small, weatherboard cottage donated by the Giddings family. This convent later became the presbytery for the priest when, in 1924, Cronulla became a separated parish. In these early days, the building fronting Curranulla Street became both church and school.

In 1919, land owned by the Catholic Church and the Giddings family was resumed and Nicholson Parade extended to Gerrale street. Negotiations with Mrs Giddings led to the purchase of a section of her land, in Giddings Avenue, opposite the convent so that a dedicated school could be built. On 21 December 1921, Archbishop Michael Kelly blessed the foundation stone for this building, to accommodate junior, middle and senior classes. This is still the site of the Cronulla parish primary school.

As well as his real estate business, Lance Giddings was prominent in local sporting bodies. He was a foundation member of the Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club in 1907 and the Cronulla Golf Club in 1920. He was also involved in the plans for the Bonnie Doon Golf Club at Pagewood.

Albert Giddings died in 1925. Agnes Giddings survived him until 1944. Giddings Avenue, which once formed part of their property, records their name and the façade of the original store can still be observed in Gerrale Street Cronulla, opposite the RSL Club.

 Colleen M Passfield.

First published in  Sutherland Shire, Some Early Residents, 2006, by Botany Bay Family History Society. Compiled by Maree McKinley and Sue Hewitt.

Click on the names GIDDINGS, Albert (1858-1925) and Agnes (1862-1944)  at the heading of thIs story. You will be taken to the database entry for Albert Giddings and his family.

References:

NSW Registry of Births Deaths and Marriages

Bennett, Sister Benedetta, Congregational Archivist, Sisters of St Joseph, North Sydney

Kirkby David R - From Sail to Atoms. First Fifty Years of the Sutherland Shire

Larkin, Maryanne – Sutherland Shire – a history to 1939

Lawrence, Joan – A Pictorial History of Sutherland Shire

Maughan, Ken – Gonzaga Gazette – Parish History – 80 years and counting

Midgley, A & F – Sutherland Shire Studies No 7 – History of Road Transport in the Sutherland Shire

Toohey, Sister Casimir – Sutherland Saga – History of St Patrick’s Parish