Welcome Database Indexes Copyright/Disclaimer Login  

JOHN and ELLEN IRVING

Bottle Forest (Heathcote) Early Settlers

John and Ellen Irving arrived in New South Wales on the barque Garrow. They left Belfast in Ireland on 9 November 1838 and arrived in Sydney on 2 March 1839. They were from County Antrim and both stated their ages as 38 years old.

Their eldest child Mary Ann was 16 years old when she arrived in Australia. Many passengers were sick during the voyage and the Surgeon's Report shows that both John and Ellen suffered from a fever severe enough to place them in the sick bay. Ellen was still ill when the ship berthed and was taken to the Lazaretto where she remained until 13 April.

On 28 November 1842, Mary Ann married artist William Nicholas in the Scots Church Pitt Street Sydney. Her parents were shown as the witnesses to the marriage and the name is recorded as Ervine. Another daughter, Margaret was married in the same church on 24 May 1848. She married John Simpson of Mt Connell and one of the witnesses to the marriage was John C Laycock of Mt Connell. Margaret gave her address as Bottle Forest and her name is recorded as Erving.

The author, Andrea Biddolf, is a descendant of this family through Mary Ann and her second husband Alexander Munro so the entry connecting her sister to Bottle Forest was of particular interest.

Major Thomas Mitchell, whilst undertaking the survey of the Illawarra Road in 1843, instructed assistant surveyor Darke to draw up allotments for the village of Bottle Forest. George Hall took up 50 acres, Patrick Hynes, George Coulson, W T Fleming, E M Hill, John Annan and Peter Caffray were also known to take up land as did John Erving. He purchased Lot 13 which was 21 acres 2 roods and 27 perches for which he paid £21.13.5 on 30 June 1845.

The isolated settlement of Bottle Forest became a small community of agriculturists. Water was obtained from a tributary of Kangaroo Creek and vegetables and fruit trees were grown as well as wheat. An article in the St George Call dated 1 June 1907 recalls a visit in the 1860s to the area in which the reporter gives evidence of Irvine's lifestyle at Bottle Forest and describes in some detail the building known to be the Irvine's (Irving’) cottage as follows:

 ...the house has a westerly aspect, with about 60ft frontage, built of slabs on the outside and lath and plaster inside, French windows were in the front with Venetian shutters; the plaster inside was of an excellent nature...made from shell lime from George's River with local sand...The roof was of forest oak shingles, split on the ground, as was all the timber used in the construction of the edifice. The main entrance was into a large room, looking more like a great hall than otherwise, into which all other rooms led...The house was supposed to have been built by Irvine in the early forties...

Research indicates that John Irvine's cottage was called the 'Cottage of Content' and it is interesting to note that when tracing the family of Mary Ann, another 'Cottage of Content' was found. Three years after her husband William Nicholas died in 1854 at Kurnell, Mary Ann married Alexander Munro who came from Scotland with his brothers. They were house carpenters before their arrival in Sydney and when working at Liverpool in the 1850s built a 'Cottage of Content'. It is possible the Munro brothers were also involved in building the cottage for Margaret and John Irvine at Bottle Forest.

The settlement at Bottle Forest was abandoned in the 1860s. About the same time the Georges River punt was destroyed in a flood making it difficult to take goods to market and could have been the reason for the demise of the settlement. Thomas Holt purchased 41 acres of land on 13 March 1865 at Bottle Forest and had over 300 dingoes destroyed there after they attacked his sheep.

The Irvine family moved to Moorebank where they continued to farm. Ellen died in 1876 in Liverpool aged 78 and John Irving died in 1879 at the residence of his daughter Mary Ann Munro in Elizabeth Street Liverpool aged 81years. They have a headstone in the Pioneer Park at Liverpool.

When the railway line opened to Waterfall in 1886 the station at Bottle Forest was named Heathcote. Today the area that once was Bottle Forest is known as East Heathcote and is dingo free and much more densely populated than in the past.

Andrea Biddolf

First published in Sutherland Shire, Some Early Residents. Compiled by Maree McKinley and Sue Hewitt

Click on the names JOHN and ELLEN IRVING at the heading of this story. You will be taken to the database entry for John Irving and his family.

References

NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages 

Kennedy, Patrick - From Bottle Forest to Heathcote

Lawrence, Joan - A Pictorial History of the Sutherland Shire

SRNSW - Passenger list Garron arrived 15 April 1839

Surgeon Superintendant's Report and SIck List Garron 1838-1839

Parish Register of Scots Church Pitt Street Sydney

St George Call, 1 June  1907

LTO - Map 525 69

LTO - Purchase by John Erving No 36, 30 June 1843

LTO - Certificate of Title to Thomas Holt, 13 March 1865, Vol X111 Folio 164