Welcome | Database | Indexes | Copyright/Disclaimer | Login |
RICHARD
(1849—1899) and FANNY (1854—1951) MIDGLEY
Homesteaders and
Historians |
When the Midgley family first came to the Sutherland
area they settled at Miranda.1 The property they farmed was situated
on the creek adjoining Kiora and Karimbla Roads on the western side and was one
of the tenanted farms of the Holt Estate. Richard Samuel and Fanny (nee Toyer)
were both English born, Richard in London on 12 May 1849 and Fanny in Luton,
Bedfordshire on 1 May 1854.They married in Sydney on 22 September 1874.2
Eleven children were born to the couple - Lucy, George, Arthur, Herbert,
Charles Augustus, Eliza, Emma Jane
Frances, Ethel Fanny, Richard, Frederick and Harold, three of whom did not
survive childhood. Charles died 27 January 1884 after a short illness and when
only 15 months old. Ethel was only five weeks old when she died on 2 April 1889
and not long after the family moved to Miranda, Emma died. She was six years
old. These children are buried at St Peters graveyard Tempe. 3
Richard had conducted a
coach and buggy building business at The Grove, St Peters4 before
moving his family from Yelverton Street, St Peters to the comparatively rural
Miranda. On 10 December 1896, the day homestead selections at Bangor were made
available by the government, the family took the opportunity to acquire 34 acres
of land and were only the second family to do so. For them it was a preferred
option to the leasehold conditions farmed under the Holt-Sutherland Company. The
year 1896 was the same year their youngest child, Harold was born but the older
family members were able to assist in establishing their new home in what was
virgin bush. With true pioneering spirit the family cleared the land, dug a well
using the clay for bricks and constructed their house.5
The area had been named Bangor by the local Welshman
Owen Jones but was changed to Menai in 1910 to differentiate from Bangor in
Tasmania. The close knit community were reasonably isolated. Access to
Sutherland was across the river by boat until the bridge was built in 1912 but
the main access was to Hurstville using the hand winched punt at Lugarno. Along
this route the produce from the farms was taken to the Sydney markets on
Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, travelling in convoy through the night to arrive
in the early hours of the morning.
In April 1901 Fanny established the first Sunday School
for the small community. This she did in her home with six pupils and the
assistance of her daughter Eliza. On 14 June 1903 the Congregational minister
who conducted services at Kogarah, Miranda, Sylvania and Sutherland was
persuaded to conduct the first church service for the local families and Fanny
again provided her home for the occasion.6
Many happy occasions were celebrated in the family and in October 1909 Arthur
married Lily Dawson who was the daughter of another local family. Herbert’s
marriage to Gwladys Evans followed in 1912 and a year later Eliza married
Charles Delardes. Worrying times followed as not long after this the war began.
The family’s three youngest boys Harold, Richard and Frederick all joined
up together and left on 28 August 1916 for serve in France.
Harold was in the 15th Australian Signal Corp and was promoted to Lance
Corporal and Richard and Frederick served with the 18th Battalion. Harold and
Richard returned to Australia at the end of the war but Frederick was killed in
action in France on 19 May 1918 aged 24.7 After their return Harold
married Lillian Napier in 1921 and Richard married Rosina Marks in 1920.
Prior to the boys departure to the front Arthur and Lily moved to Menai. They
lived in Eton Street, Sutherland for the first five years of their marriage
before taking up eleven acres on what was then Bridge Road at Menai. Their
nearest neighbours were the Nicholsons in Thorpes Forest although there were
some dwellings along the Woronora River. Like their parents before them, Arthur
and Lily met the challenge of carving out an existence. They washed in a creek
and lived in a bark hut until they built their two-roomed timber home. Arthur
worked for the Sutherland Shire Council and Lily supplemented their income by
keeping poultry. The couple had four children – Jack, Lillian and twins
Frederick and Alfred.8
The Midgley family exemplify the early settlers of this
part of the Shire. They have reason to be proud of the place they held in the
history of Menai and Fred and Alf were particularly mindful of this. Alf was a
founding member of the Sutherland Shire Historical Society and both brothers
contributed to the recording of local history. Like many other families of the
area, the Midgley’s involvement in the church, school, sporting and social
activities showed a true spirit of community.
Click on the names
RICHARD (1849 –1899) and FANNY (1854—1951) MIDGLEY
at the heading of this story. You will be
taken to the database entry for Richard Midgley and his family.
Endnotes:
1. Laurel Horton,
Grave Reflections – The Story of St Peters Graveyard Cooks River, 1996
2.
LDS,
www.familysearch.org
viewed 28 Feb 2007
3. Laurel Horton,
Grave Reflections – The Story of St Peters Graveyard Cooks River, 1996
4. ibid.
5. SSHS Bulletin No 12 July 1969
6. Living Faith 100 years since first Christian worship in Menai Community
1903-2003
7. WW1 Nominal Roll, Australian War Memorial Roll of
Honour
8. LSC at SSL, undated manuscript in vertical file
Midgley