Welcome | Database | Indexes | Copyright/Disclaimer | Login |
TOM (1879-1951) and VICTORIA (1879-1962) SALISBURY
The Family
Weekender
Thomas and
Victoria Salisbury
began a new life in a new location when they married on the first day of January
1906. The newlyweds chose to live in a small rented cottage in East Parade
Sutherland. It was the last house in the street and where the funeral train left
the main line before entering the Woronora Cemetery. Thomas travelled each day
to the city where he worked as an engraver. He had learnt his profession while
working for his father and continued in the business after his father’s death in
1898 when Thomas was 19 years old. Their skill was such that both father and son
could engrave The Lord’s Prayer on a threepence, without the aid of a magnifying
glass.
Thomas was born at Snails Bay, Birchgrove to Thomas and Janet Salisbury (nee
Cormack). The family later lived at Greenwich where they were able to spend long
hours rowing on the Lane Cove River.
Victoria’s life was centred in the city. She was born
the same year as Thomas in 1879 in the family residence over their shop in
George Street. Her parents were Cornelius and Eliza Loughnan, and her father was
a tobacco manufacturer and merchant.
Thomas and Victoria had other homes in Sutherland and at
one time in Loftus Avenue but about 1915 they moved into ‘Waverley’ Merton
Street next door to Nurse Kate Lobb and her husband Arthur. This home held fond
memories for the family where the children had a carefree existence playing on
the dirt road and the vacant land and tennis court next door.
The fresh air and carefree living was what had attracted
the family to the area but the waterways were where they decided to spend their
leisure hours. Thomas had spent his youth on the waters around Sydney and they
chose a waterfront block of land at Gymea Bay which they purchased around 1917.
Sam Brinsley and Sam Houghton helped build a foundation wall and stone steps
down to the property using sandstone from the property. The gatekeeper’s cottage
at Sutherland Railway was purchased and transported to the site by way of a
chute made from bent galvanised sheets of iron. Once on the site it was
re-erected using as much original material as possible and measured 24 feet
square by 10 feet high. It was partitioned off into two large rooms, one for the
family living and eating, the other for a bedroom.
The setting was idyllic with the bay at the front
doorstep and surrounded by bush with flannel flowers, Christmas bush,
eucalyptus, boronia and banksias. Thomas never took a holiday except when he
closed the business down between Christmas and New Year but spent his weekends
at the cottage with family and friends. Extra people were accommodated in tents
and on camp stretchers. Over time the cottage was extended by building a wider
verandah on the front and along both sides. Large windows were eventually
installed and the ceiling lined. The land was cleared every few years by burning
and beating the fire around the edges with large branches to stop it from
spreading.
Samuel and Bert Brinsley later purchased two adjoining
blocks and became neighbours to share the fishing and boating. Other families
also built weekenders or camped. The railway gatehouse that became the weekend
and holiday retreat served the family well creating lasting memories.
In 1952 Tom Salisbury died and ten years later in 1962
Victoria, known as Vicie also died. At Tom’s funeral Arthur Lobb said that Tom
“had no material aspirations in life and
was happiest when surrounded by what nature had given him’
The land has never been sub-divided, however, there is
now electricity, sewage and running water – there is no need for tapping the
rungs of the tank and filling the kerosene lamps. The original 660 feet of
hand-hewn sandstone steps still wind down to the water’s edge, but are no longer
used any more with the luxury of an inclinator. The atmosphere of the original
cottage is still present in the now-named ‘Gull Cottage’, a legacy from Tom and
Vicie for the present owner-occupier, their grandson, Peter.
The Archives Section of the State Railway Authority of
New South Wales have a copy of the plans of NSW Railways, Sydney to Wollongong
and Kiama Gatekeepers’s Cottage, Sutherland. A check of the overall floor and
height measurements of the still existing structure showed they coincided with
that of the SRA Plan (24 feet square by 10 feet high) the original structure has
been extended, the chimney dismantled and old white-ant eaten timber replaced
with cladding, however it is still supported by that centre square of original
beams from the Gatekeeper’s Cottage from Sutherland.
VALMAI PEARSE & MAREE McKINLEY
First published in
Sutherland Shire, Some Early Residents, 2006,
by Botany Bay Family
History Society. Compiled by Maree McKinley and Sue Hewitt.
Click on the nameS
TOM 91879 – 1951) and VICTORIA (1879 – 1962)
SALISBURY
at the heading of this story. You will be taken to the database entry for Tom
Salisbury and his family.