Welcome | Database | Indexes | Copyright/Disclaimer | Login |
CHARLES
WIGZELL (1848—1901) and FAMILY
Hairdresser and Turkish
Bathing Proprietor
While some people were attracted to the Shire in order
to make a living from the land, others were in a position to build weekend or
holiday homes for their families and use the area for pleasure. Many of the
families whose association with the Shire began as holiday-makers eventually
became long-term residents of the community who contributed in no small way to
the fabric of the area. One such family was that of Charles Edward Wigzell. He
and his wife Fanny built a weekend cottage on the south-east corner of land they
leased from the Holt-Sutherland Estate in 1884. This land was bounded by Linden
Street, The Grand Parade and Oakwood Street Sutherland.
Charles was 38 years old and his wife Fanny 37 years old
at the time and they had three sons –
Alfred Charles born 10 November 1870, Henry William born 29 July 1872 and
Ernest Walter born 5 March 1876. Fanny Louise, their only daughter who they
called ‘Tot’, died on 21 May 1876 just eleven days after her second birthday.
When the
family became associated with the Shire the name Wigzell was already well-known
in Sydney as Charles had exhibited his enterprising ability from an early age.
As a lad of about 16 years of age, he came to Sydney from Christchurch, New
Zealand where his family had settled when they emigrated from England. Not long
after his arrival, he commenced a hairdressing business at 143 South Head Road
(later renamed Oxford Street) and around the same time he met and married Fanny
Evans. The marriage took place on 11 February 1869 at 289 Riley Street, Surry
Hills, the home of Fanny and her parents William and Harriet (nee Hyde). Charles
and Fanny lived in the hairdressing premises and it was there the four children
were born.
Three members of Charles’ immediate family followed him
from New Zealand and all three worked in the business. His sister Caroline, who
never married, also lived with the family in Oxford Street and later at
Sutherland. His brothers Walter and William worked with Charles and eventually
opened their own businesses. Both of his brothers married and remained with
their families in Sydney.
In 1879 Charles extensively modernised his business and
began importing human hair and hairdressing commodities from contacts he made
when he visited London and Paris. He further successfully extended his interests
and opened a Turkish bath. This innovation had been introduced to Sydney by Dr
John Le Gay Brereton who opened the city’s first Turkish baths in Spring Street.
He had worked with the poor in the North of England and advocated the use of the
baths as a means of maintaining a clean and thus healthy body.
From the time of his arrival in Sydney Charles had
maintained a strong association with the Bourke Street Congregational Church.
This ranged from his love of working with the children as a Sunday School
teacher and representing the Church on various committees in several different
capacities to holding executive positions within the Church. He had an abiding
interest in helping those less fortunate and was involved with groups such as
the Society for Providing Homes for Neglected Children, the Sydney Rescue Work
Society and the Sydney City Mission. He also had a belief in the temperance
movement and the Aborigines Protection Association.
Charles began to speculate in land and purchased
property at Bexley, but it was Sutherland he chose to build the cottage that was
to became the focus of the family’s activities. Shortly after the cottage was
built, the railway line to Sutherland was completed and the family were able to
make more frequent visits to their ‘Oxford Retreat’ as they called the property.
Others were attracted to the area with the commencement
of the railway and one was Rev. William Anderson. He was an itinerant preacher
who began preaching at Sutherland railway station supposedly in the waiting
room. Although no written evidence survives, it has also been stated that the
Wigzells conducted a Sunday School at their ‘Oxford Retreat’. At the time no
church building existed between Hurstville and Bulli and William Anderson
solicited local support to build a church. Land was purchased on the south-west
corner of Robertson and Oxford Streets for the erection of a building. The
foundation stone for this building was laid on 20 August 1887, the Jubilee year
of Queen Victoria’s reign and so began the Evangelical Jubilee Church. Financial
difficulties were encountered during its construction and Charles Wigzell
brought this to the attention of the Congregational Union of NSW. The records
show that ‘sufficient money was forthcoming to complete the building’ and
although it appears likely that Charles contributed, he retained his connection
to the Bourke Street Church.
The eldest son Alfred was married on 26 March 1896 to
Alice Best Parish whose family also attended the Bourke Street Congregational
Church. Alfred and Alice’s only child Tasmien Ellen was born on 2 January 1897.
The youngest son Ernest married Margaret Hibberd from Helensburgh on 11 August
1898 and the couple had seven children – Charles, Fannie, Cyril, Ernest, Enid,
Alfred and Jack.
As the family was
expanding, the business began to decline. The economic depression the country
suffered in the 1890s adversely affected the Wigzells. The Oxford Street
properties were sold but the family remained as tenants and the Sutherland
leases were transferred to Fanny. Towards the end of 1900 Charles was declared
bankrupt. As the business declined so did his health and at 10pm on 7 February
1901, aged 52 years, he died at their Sutherland home. His funeral service was
conducted at the Bourke Street Congregational Church and he was buried in the
Independent section of Rookwood cemetery.
In June 1901, just months after Charles’ death, Fanny
built a second house in Oakwood Street (Lots 5 -11) and Ernest and his family
began to live there. Ernest had stated on his marriage certificate to Margaret
that he was a hairdresser but on the 1903 Electoral Roll he is shown as a
poultry farmer living at ‘Oxford Retreat’. Although this was the name of the
original cottage, it was often applied to the whole property. Ernest worked,
until his retirement, for the Sydney Water Board.
Alfred had taken charge of the business working under
the name change of C E Wigzell and Son and he and Alice lived on the premises.
Over the years the street had been renumbered and this was now 139-141 Oxford
Street. After the death of Charles the wig making part of the business was
maintained by Fanny in the Imperial Arcade, 170 Pitt Street in the city from
about 1903 until 1907.
In
the year 1917 Ernest’s wife Margaret died and around that same year the Oxford
Street business closed down. Alfred gained employment closer to home with the
Sutherland Shire Council as a clerk. In later years when the Georges River
Bridge first opened he worked there in the toll booths. Ernest remarried at
Sutherland in 1919. His new wife was Elizabeth Tongue and his family further
expanded with the birth of the couple’s two daughters. He and Elizabeth later
demolished their house after building a new one on the west side of Oakwood
Street called ‘Roslyn’.
Over the following years the family was active in many
local affairs and continued their association with the Congregational Church but
time took its toll. Alfred’s wife Alice died on 18 May 1933 aged 62 years and
his brother Henry in June 1938 but it was the passing of Fanny that severed the
link with the founders of the family. She was 86 years old when she died on
Monday 19 August 1935 at her home in Linden Street. She was cremated at Woronora
cemetery the following Wednesday. Alfred died on 25 June 1945 aged 74. His
daughter Tasmein, who married Ernest Naughton, inherited the property from her
grandmother and remained in Sutherland. Ernest Wigzell died in his home in
Oakwood Street on 18 September 1947 aged 71 years. He was survived by his wife
Elizabeth, three of his sons and his four married daughters. Fanny married Mark
Lewin in 1930, Mavis married Albert Bonwick in 1943, Dorothy married Stanley
Gilham in 1942 and Enid married Morris Lang in 1946. Two of Ernest’s sons, Jack
and Charles, died in 1941 and 1942 respectively.
MAREE McKINLEY
First published in Sutherland Shire, Some Early Residents, 2006, by Botany Bay Family History Society. Compiled by Maree McKinley and Sue Hewitt.
Click on the name
CHARLES EDWARD WIGZELL (1848 -1901) and FAMILY
at the heading of this story. You will be taken to the database entry for
Charles Wigzell and his family.
References
Maryanne Larkin,
Sutherland Shire: a history to 1939, 1998 Sutherland History Press
David & Dorothy Johnston,
A History of Sutherland Uniting Church,
1996
Society of Australian Genealogists
Rookwood Cemetery Transcriptions
Sands Directory of Sydney
1903 Electoral Roll
SSHS Bulletin Vol 2 No 20 Nov 1997
The Propeller,
7 Feb 1901; 19 May 1933; 5
Jul 1945; 22 Aug 1935; 16 Jun 1938
NSW Birth Death and Marriages records
Hindsight re Turkish Baths www.abc.net.au/Hindsight