Welcome Database Indexes Copyright/Disclaimer Login  

DUNLEA, Thomas Vincent (1894-1970)

Founder of Boys Town

Thomas Vincent Dunlea was an Irish-Australian Catholic priest known for his charitable works especially in founding Boys Town at Engadine in the Sutherland Shire.  He was born at Roran House, the family residence 5 km east of Ballina, Co. Tipperary, Ireland, 19 April, 1894, the son of Thomas Dunlea (d1922), farmer, and his wife, Bridget (d1933) nee Minogue. 

 Of the 11 children who survived infancy, three sisters entered the convent and two brothers, Timothy and John, like Thomas migrated to Australia.  Timothy became a policeman and was living in Ravenshoe, North Queensland at the time of this death in 1942.  He was buried at Woronora Cemetery.  John was living at North Springvale, Victoria, at the time of his death in 1977.  He was formerly licensee of the Silvergate Hotel in South Melbourne. Other members of the extended Dunlea family also migrated to Australia.

 Educated at Roscrea College, Mount Melleray monastery and St Peter’s College, Wexford, Thomas Dunlea was ordained a priest on 20 June, 1920.  The same year, in December, he arrived in Sydney on the RMS Olympic to take up duties in the Archdiocese  of Sydney.  His appointments over the years were:

·           1921 Rose Bay

·        1922 Surrey Hills

·        1932 Newtown, Enfield, Golden Grove, Hurstville

·        1934 Sutherland (Parish Priest

·        1951 Chaplain, Matthew Talbot Hostel for destitute men

·        1952-1968 Hurstville

 As a curate in inner-city parishes, Dunlea got close to people in distress.  When he was appointed to the newly established  St Patrick’s parish at Sutherland, it was in the darkest days of the Depression.  In his book From Sails to Atoms, David Kirkby observed that Sutherland Shire had a ‘higher proportion of unemployed that most Shires’.  On his rounds, Father Dunlea was distressed by the appalling living conditions of some of his parishioners. To pay rent, many families had been evicted from their inner city homes and had set up tents and humpies on Crown land in and near the National Park.   During the winter months, their privations were severe. Riding his white horse, Father Dunlea brought them food, hope and literally, at times, the ‘shirt off his back’ to the dismay of his housekeeeper. 

 One day riding near National Park, a boy asked him to visit his sick mother.  He found the woman terminally ill and she asked him to take the boy under his care. After the woman died Dunlea took the boy to the parish presbytery.  The boy, Eric Green, was the foundation member of what became Boys Town.  As things worsened during the Depression, a number of young boys were entrusted to his care. Inspired by the 1938 movie ‘Boys Town’ starring Mickey Rooney and Spencer Tracy, in December, 1939, Father Dunlea, in an interview reported in the Sydney Morning Herald, stated his object was ‘To help all unlucky boys, independent of religion or creed, to allow them to work co-operatively and thus fit themselves  for the future’.  The movie was based on the real life story of Father Flanagan who founded Boy’s Town in Nebraska, USA. 

 Dunlea and seven boys were by then living in a four bedroom house, rented initially from Dorothy Boyle, on the corner of Glencoe and Flora streets in Sutherland but the number of boys in need was increasing.  Prompted by concerns of people living nearby, Council inspectors found the house to be dilapidated and unsafe. It was condemned and a notice was issued forcing them to move.

 Father Dunlea was aware for some time that a proper boys’ town would need land that could be cultivated, with buildings and amenities like those depicted in the movie.  He called the boys together, told them of the Council’s decision but reassured them that a place would be found. In the meantime, they would have to camp under the stars.  A friend, Eric Drew, was able to purchase ex-army tents at minimum cost and a committee of friends and supporters was established to help.

 So, on 17 March, (St Patrick’s Day) 1940, began the Grand March  from Sutherland along Princes Highway to behind the rifle range at Loftus.  Led by Father Dunlea, in full clericals, mounted on his white horse, there followed a goat, with a large placard, on its horns, with the name of the Council health inspector, Walter Cooper, on it, 27 boys, two dogs and four chooks, a sort of band with pots and pans, some soldiers from the nearby camp, and some adult supporters.  Banners were carried asking for assistance.  By the time the procession reached the Sutherland town centre, there was quite a crowd cheering them on including the family of the health Inspector.  There were people writing in notebooks and taking pictures.

 Alerted by Brian Marien, son of the late Frank Marien who had been a well known Sydney journalist, the march was well covered by the media and was headline news the next day.  It was reported on by the local and St, George newspapers and also by the major Sydney newspapers and interstate.  It was filmed by Cinesound newsreel  and shown in cinemas  all round Australia.  On arriving at their destination, Father Dunlea thanked the boys and helpers and assured them the Australian people would not let them down.  The publicity made many people aware of their plight and soon help came from unexpected quarters.

 ‘Boys’ Town is for homeless and friendless boys – it is the hometown; the fair-dinkum town; the town of charity, unity and kindness; it is a smooth landing ground’.

 A week after the Tent village was set up, George Nathan, a bookmaker, Jew, and well known Sydney philanthropist, overheard a conversation while fielding at Moorefields Racecourse.  He was curious to learn more.  The next day, on the way to a race meeting of the dogs at Wollongong, he called into the tent Village and observed Dunlea as he chatted to the boys.  Nathan had read about Dunlea but was impressed by the rapport he had with the boys, his wit  and good humour and the respectful way he had with the boys.  From that day on, he supported Father Dunlea and was the high-profile figure in Sydney that would bring recognition to the work of Boys Town in the Sutherland Shire.

 Nathan’s wife was a regular customer at a June Russell hair dressing salon.  June Russell, a hairdresser, was a well known business woman who had opened salons bearing her name in several Sydney suburbs.  Mrs. Nathan invited her to join them at Loftus one Sunday afternoon. She got on well with Father Dunlea and became a major supporter and regular visitor.

 Horse trainer, H.V.Eastburn  was introduced to Dunlea by Nathen. With a horse, Dublin Lad, up for his first start at Moorefields the next Saturday and a rank outsider at 35 to1, Eastburn promised to give Boys Town a share if he won.  Eastburn was so pleased when Dublin Lad won, he made Boys Town a beneficiary from every race that he won.

 Soon after there was a move to start car-racing at the Sydney Showgrounds on condition that some charity would benefit.  Again, George Nathan had ‘friends’ and Sunday car-racing went ahead at the Sydney Showgrounds with proceeds going to Boys Town. Nathan also organised fund-raising carnivals with trotting, cycling and midget car-racing that packed Sydney Sports Ground.

 Boys Town was getting lots of media coverage and donations were coming from all quarters.  The publicity led to a gift of 2.8 hectares (7 acres) at Waratah Road, Engadine where Boys’ Town found a permanent home with the boys attending school in Sutherland.  The foundation stone of Boys’ Town in Engadine was laid in September, 1941.  It was to be partly self-supporting and to be run by the boys themselves with the priest’s oversight. The boys ran their own elections for Mayor, aldermen, health inspectors and other officers.  The first Mayor was Michael Rooney who went on to sing in grand opera.  The original Finance Committee, overwhelmed by the response, handed over to a more experienced team and, in September, 1942, the De La Salle brothers took over the management.

 The hard work took its toll on Father Dunlea who was admitted to Lewisham Hospital. On release he was given leave of absence when he went to USA and visited Boys’ Town in Nebraska.

 Re-turning to Sutherland, Father Dunlea began working among alcoholics with Dr. Sylvester Minogue and Archibald McKinnon, setting up the first Alcoholics Anonymous in Sydney. Realising he himself was an alcoholic, in mid 1947, he relinquished his position as parish priest at Sutherland and took up residence at Boys’ Town acting as Spiritual Director for the boys.

 In 1951, Father Dunlea was appointed as chaplain to Matthew Talbot Hostel for destitute men at Woolloomooloo. In 1952, the Salesians of Don Bosco took over Boys’ Town and Father Dunlea left.  In 1952, he went to St Michael’s Hurstville as Parish priest devoting time to A.A. and to a new organisation for people with psychiatric problems called  Recovery Group, as well as a menagerie of odd animals. ‘When Tom Dunlea doesn’t take an interest in stray dogs any longer’ he said’ you’ll know that he’s had it’.

 In 1965, Father Dunlea was made a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the Queen’s Birthday Honours List.  He also received the Jewish Cross of Honour and the Papal Cross of Honour Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice.

 When Father Chris Riley started a detox centre, he named it the Dunlea Adolescent Alcohol and Drug Treatment Program.  In 2010 the name of Boys’ Town (Engadine) was changed to the Dunlea Centre which now runs residential programs for adolescent girls as well as boys.

 Thomas Vincent Dunlea died on 22 August, 1970, in Lewisham Hospital, NSW, aged 76. Originally buried at Woronora Cemetery, he was re-interred at his beloved Boys’ Town a few weeks later.

 Dame Mary Gilmore was a special friend of Father Dunlea and composed a poem for him when he was in hospital.

 

View the entry in the database for DUNLEA, Reverend Father Thomas Vincent CBE. Click on his name at the heading of this page.

 

References:

Australian Dictionary of Biography

Wikipedia

Sutherland Saga  Sister Casimir Toohey

From Sails to Atoms – David Kirkby

A Welcome of the Mat – Fr John McSweeney

Good Ol’ Town - Boys’ Town on line newsletter

Smith’s Weekly

The Catholic Press

Advocate (Melbourne)

Sydney Morning Herald

The Telegraph

The Mirror

Sutherland Shire – a history to 1939

Woronora Cemetery