Welcome Database Indexes Copyright/Disclaimer Login  

PHYLLIS STROUD (FARLEIGH) 1905-2011 and the STROUD FAMILY

           Cronulla Surf Queen 1927

Phyllis Stroud was chosen as Cronulla’s candidate for the Surf Queen competition of 1927. In October 1926 The Sun newspaper in Sydney launched The Queen of the Surf competition to raise funds for surf life saving clubs and hospitals. Each competitor needed the endorsement of a surf club to confirm she was a genuine surfer but did not need to be a member of that club. Prize money of £475 would be distributed among the clubs nominating the successful first, second and third place getters with some other categories as well. The Queen of the Surf was to be elected by public vote, each vote costing a penny. The money thus raised would be distributed among the hospitals.  Manly, Narrabeen, Bondi, Coogee, Maroubra and fifteen other beaches, including Cronulla, set about choosing girls to represent them.

 Phyllis Stroud was chosen to represent Cronulla. This was a canny decision as she was the daughter of W.F.J. Stroud, known as Frank, a foundation member of Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club and former Club President. The Stroud family was well known in the St. George area having been hoteliers in Kogarah for many years.  Frank had a long association with the surf club and briefly had a newsagency in Cronulla.

 The mid 1920s was an important period in the development the Shire. Since 1895, there had been much discussion about a bridge across the Georges River replacing the punt at Tom Ugly’s Point. By the 1920s the four car punt was carrying 700 to 800 vehicles regularly and in peak season 1,000 to 1,200 each way with delays of several hours.  When the Sutherland Shire came into being in 1910, the newly elected council immediately began campaigning for the construction of a bridge.  After continuous pressure on successive New South Wales Governments, on 6 December, 1923 a bill was passed in the Legislative Assembly empowering the Shire Council to construct a bridge at Tom Ugly’s Point.

 Plans and specifications were drawn up by the Public Works Chief Engineer, Percy Allen, monies borrowed from overseas which would take more than 20 years to repay, contracts signed and the first sod turned in July, 1924. It was estimated that the work would be completed in two years.  Unfortunately problems emerged and in 1926 the completion and opening of the bridge was still a long way off.  It would eventually be opened in 1929. Extra support was needed from the State Government as finances were strained.

 In his lifetime, C.O.J. (Joe) Monro never missed an opportunity to spruik Cronulla and the Sutherland Shire. In 1926, he was President of the Shire, a position he occupied many times, and his fellow councillors were of a like mind. They were aware that publicity focused on the Sutherland Shire would alert investors to the opportunities in the Shire which would boom once the bridge was completed.  It could also help to put pressure on the Government to assist.  At this time, Joe Monro was completing the construction of the Cecil Hotel and applying for a licence to operate it.  He had built and was successfully operating the nearby Cecil Ballroom and Tearooms which fronted the Cronulla Beach Esplanade. There was also a tennis court adjacent to the Ballroom and across Ozone Street from the Cecil Hotel. Like Frank Stroud, Joe Monro was an inaugural member of the Cronulla Surf Club and was elected a Life Member in 1923.

 No time was wasted by the Council. On Monday, 1 November, 1926 a meeting was held in the School of Arts, Cronulla to inaugurate the campaign of Phyllis Stroud. Shire President, Councillor Joe Monro was in the chair. Also present was Councillor Hand, President of the Cronulla Chamber of Commerce and Councillor R W S Harris. This was one of the largest meetings ever held in Cronulla. Councillor Harris pointed out that not only would much needed funds be raised for St. George Hospital, but it was an opportunity to put Cronulla and the Sutherland Shire 'on the map'. Mrs. Hayton, President of the St. George District Hospital Committee, promised support to put Miss Stroud at the top of the voting. Also present was Miss Stroud, who promised that if she won, she would donate her prize money to the hospital. To head the campaign a committee was elected with Councillor Monro as President, Wallace Pooley as Hon. Organising Secretary and Mr.Graham, of Monro & Buist (Real Estate) as Treasurer. After a stirring speech Mr. Monro purchased 2,000 votes and before the meeting broke up a further 15,000 votes had been purchased with promises of more support from those attending. It was clear that the Shire was right behind Phyllis Stroud.

 There was considerable publicity and interest in the months leading up to the result of the competition held in late January. Photos, profiles and interviews with the candidates appeared in the newspapers and updates on the voting saw Phyllis Stroud emerge as favourite to take out the title. With outstanding support from the Shire, she was successful.  When the final returns were counted, the first three clubs were found to be:

First - Cronulla, 1,040,400 votes

Second – Clovelly, 1,026,924 votes

Third – Maroubra, 824,500 votes

 The success of the competition exceeded all expectations when nearly £20,000 was raised to be distributed to the hospitals. The result was announced at an event held at the Prince Edward Theatre in Sydney where Phyllis Stroud was declared the winner and presented to the public. This was followed but outdone by the celebrations that took place in the Shire.

On 26 January, 1927, Anniversary Day, more than 100,000 people came to Cronulla for the crowning of Phyllis Stroud as Queen of the Surf.  The ceremony was preceded by a procession which was more than a half mile in length. It featured a brass band, decorated cars and lorries, Boy Scouts and members of the surf clubs. There was a group of aborigines from Salt Pan with Queen Warlunga, who was 75 years of age, having been born at Hungry Point, Kurra Nulla (Cronulla). There was a large model of the ship Renown manned by naval men. Queen Phyllis appeared seated in a chaise drawn by four horses and attended by her maids of honour. On the lawn near Cronulla Beach, attended by a crowd of court officials and after a trumpet blast and reading of a proclamation, Queen Phyllis was crowned by Councillor Monro, dressed as an Archbishop. This was followed by presentation of prizes and the handing over of a cheque for £4,335 to N P Neilson, President of the St George District Hospital.  Mr. Neilson thanked all who had been responsible and announced that Miss Stroud and Miss Gurr (the Brighton Le-Sands candidate) had been made life members of St George District Hospital.  After the coronation a flock of 2,000 pigeons was released and a shower of flowers fell on the Queen.

 For some time after the event, Phyllis Stroud was invited to various events, such as a surf carnival at Newcastle, social functions at the Cecil Ballroom and events in support of the hospital. Photos of her, taken during the competition, have appeared in several books and other publications about the Sutherland Shire

 Phyllis Florence Stroud was born in Kogarah in 1905, the daughter of William Frank John Stroud and his wife, Violet Henrietta Mary, nee Hammond. Phyllis was educated at Cronulla Public School and Sydney Girls High School. After High School, she attended Stott & Hoare’s Business College in Sydney becoming efficient in shorthand and typing and interested in accountancy. She was employed as a ledger keeper by McWilliams Wines. In 1930, Phyllis Stroud married Raymond Kenneth Farleigh who was born in Rockdale, in 1905, the son of Edward Farleigh and his wife, Selina nee Lambeth. Raymond was a former student of Newington College, Stanmore, and played Rugby Union in the St George district. Phyllis and Ray had one child, Gay, born 26 July 1932, at Waverley. Raymond Kenneth Farleigh died on 20 June, 1970, and his ashes were interred at Woronora Cemetery. Phyllis Florence Farleigh, nee Stroud, died on 1 May, 2011.  Her ashes were interred on 30 March 2012, at Woronora Cemetery.

 

The Strouds came from families long associated with hotels in Sydney and licensed victuallers in England. In interviews, Phyllis claimed that an uncle, John Palmer, established the Bedford Hotel at Redfern and the Railway Parade Hotel at Kogarah when the Illawarra rail line was opened in 1884.

 

John Palmer was born in 1839, at Godstone, Surrey, the son of John Palmer and Mary Ann nee Shirley. When baptised at St Mary’s Church at Horne, Surrey, his father was described as a shoemaker. When Elizabeth Palmer, born in Godstone 1852, married William Stroud in 1878, her father John Palmer was also described as a shoemaker. It appears that John Palmer and Elizabeth Palmer were siblings confirming Phyllis Strouds’ claim that John Palmer was her uncle. John Palmer was also instrumental in establishing William Stroud as an hotelier in Kogarah.

 

John Palmer came to Australia and in 1860, married Mary Hope.  Ann H. was born in 1861 and died in 1861.  Ernest John, born 12 July,1865 and Jessica, born 12 May, 1868 were baptised at St Paul’s Church in Sydney on 31 May1868. Elizabeth was born in 1863 and twins, James and John in 1875. John died in 1875 and James in 1876. Mary Palmer died in 1876, aged 43.

 

In 1895, John Palmer married Matilda Jane Carrick. He died on 26 February 1904, aged 64 and was buried in the graveyard of St George’s Church, Hurstville. He was survived by his wife, Matilda Jane, his daughters, Mrs Walter Smith, Mrs Norman Begg (Jessica) and his sister, Mrs William Stroud (Elizabeth).

 

In 1881, a Publicans Licence was issued to John Palmer for the Bedford Hotel at Wells and Rosehill Streets, Redfern. This was a transfer of the licence from Richard McNamara for the hotel formerly called the Darlington Inn and renamed the Bedford by John Palmer. By 1896, the licence was held by John Palmer’s son, Ernest John Palmer, who was Treasurer of the Licensed Victuallers Association. The meetings of the Association were held at the Bedford Hotel. In 1888, Ernest John Palmer married Mary Isabella Hodges. His mother’s name, Hope, was passed on to his two sons -- William Hope Palmer and John Stephen Hope Palmer.

 

In February 1897 Ernest John Palmer died, aged 31. He was buried in the graveyard of St George’s Church at Hurstville.  When his widow, Mary Isabella, nee Hodges, married James A Costello in 1897, the licence reverted to John Palmer. The hotel was, for many years, known as Palmer’s Hotel.

 

The Stroud history as hoteliers can be traced back to Francis Stroud born c1820 in Eltham, Kent. In 1842 he married Sophia White (1819-1886) in Canterbury, Kent, and then lived in Westgate Without, in Canterbury, Kent, until his death in 1893.  Between 1842 and 1863 they had twelve children all born in Canterbury, Kent.

 

In the 1841 England Census, Francis and Sophia were working on the farm owned by William Collard. In the 1851 Census, Francis is described as a dairyman and in 1861 as a labourer. In 1871 and 1881 Francis is a licensed victualler and in the 1891 Census is described as a publican. The pub is known as the Woolpack and in the 1881 Census sons Francis, James and Edward are working for him as a baker, wine and spirit porter and brewery cellarman respectively.

 

Sophia Stroud died in 1886 and Francis Stroud died on 29 October, 1893. Probate on his property was declared on 22 November, 1893.

 

William Stroud was born on 1 July 1855 in Canterbury, Kent, England, the son of Francis Stroud and his wife, Sophia, nee White. On 8 January, 1878, at St Andrew’s Church, West Kensington, Hammersmith and Fulham, England, he married Elizabeth Palmer, daughter of John and Mary Ann Palmer. William was described as a waiter.

 

On 15 April, 1879 their son William Frank John Stroud was born in Brighton, Sussex, England.  He was baptised at St. Nicholas’ Church, Brighton, on 17 August 1879. In the 1881 Census, William, a waiter, and Elizabeth, a waitress, and their son, William F.J. were living in Brighton. In 1883, a daughter, Florence Ethel was born in Brighton, Sussex to William and Elizabeth Stroud.

 

In 1886, William Stroud and his family arrived in Sydney on board the vessel Garonne.  It is possible that they were encouraged to come to Australia by Elizabeth’s brother, John Palmer as William soon became connected to hotels associated with Palmer including the Woolpack Hotel in Redfern. In particular, he lived in and held the Publicans’ Licence for the Railway Parade Hotel in Kogarah from 1887. This would pass down after his death in 1905 to his wife Elizabeth, and then to his son, Frank and become known as Stroud’s Hotel.  In her recorded interview held at Sutherland Library, Phyllis Farleigh states that William Stroud died in Callan Park Asylum and his death was registered at Balmain South which would support her claim. In his funeral notices, his residence is identified as ‘Hastings’, Forest Road, Hurstville. After a service at St George’s Church, Hurstville, William Stroud was buried at Woronora Cemetery.  In the Deceased Estate Files he is described as a Licensed Victualler.  Elizabeth Stroud died in 1931. They were both buried in Woronora Cemetery.

 

William Frank John Stroud (known as Frank) was born on 1 April, 1879 in Brighton. Sussex, England, the son of William Stroud and his wife, Elizabeth, nee Palmer.  He was baptised on 17 August 1879 in St. Nicholas’ Church in Brighton.  He is mentioned in the 1881 England Census living with his parents at 29 Borough Street, Brighton.  In 1886, he arrived in Sydney with his parents and sister Florence on the vessel Garonne.

 

Frank Stroud was educated at Kogarah Superior Public School and, at a testimonial function held in 1913, when he retired from the Railway Parade Hotel, a former teacher, Mr. James Murray, recalled how he had known him from boyhood when Frank was under his scholastic care.  He also recalled the pride that followed his passing of the Junior University examination in 1892.  In reply, Frank Stroud spoke of being ‘an old Kogarah boy’.  In the interview with Phyllis Farleigh, she states that her father went to Windsor Grammar School but I could not find any verification to support this.

 

In the 1901 England Census, Frank Stroud, age 21, is in Brighton, Sussex, England, working as a barman for George Hammond, a licensed victualler, at the Stammer Park Hotel.  Also on the census is Violet Henrietta Hammond, age 19, the daughter of George Hammond and his wife, Mary Amy.

 

In 1902, William Frank John Stroud married Violet Henrietta Hammond in Brighton.  Their daughter, Violet Elizabeth Mary Stroud was born 1903 in Brighton.  In 1904, Frank Stroud returned to Sydney on the vessel Suevic with his wife, Violet Henrietta, and his infant daughter, Violet Elizabeth Mary.

 

As his father was ill Frank moved in to assist his mother in the hotel. After the death of his father William in 1904, Frank assumed the management of the Railway Parade Hotel at Kogarah and lived there with his family until 1913 when they moved to Cronulla.

 

During this period, Frank’s sister Florence married David Christian in 1906 died in 1971 and was buried in Woronora Cemetery. Florence and David also helped with the business and the children who were born in Kogarah:

 

  Phyllis, born 1905, m. Raymond Farleigh at St. Mark’s Church, Darling Point on 14 August, 1930.

 Audrey, born 18 June, 1908, d.1931. Inquest 13 July, 1931.

  Daphne, born 9 April, 1909 married George Huxtable 1934.

      (Audrey and Daphne were baptised in St. Andrew’s Cathedral on 13 June, 1909.

 John, born 27 September, 1912 was baptised in St. Andrew’s Cathedral, on 1 December 1912.

  Frank, born 28 May, 1918.

 

Their eldest child, Violet Elizabeth Stroud m. Richard Lambie at All Saints Church, Woollahra, on 20 October, 1934.

 

After his return to Kogarah in 1904, Frank Stroud was regularly swimming at Cronulla with a group of men including Neville Cayley, Lance Giddings, Frank Statford, Joe Monro, William Burns and others who were the founding members of the Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club. Frank would become Club Captain and Chief Instructor and entertain the Hawiian Duke Kahanomohu when he visited Cronulla in 1914 and demonstrated his board riding skills at North Cronulla Beach to the amazed crowds.  During the 1914 -18 War, many of the members of Cronulla enlisted and Frank Stroud took senior boys from Cronulla Public School, trained them for their Bronze Medallions and kept the club operating.  He also trained the female members of the local VAD (Voluntary Aid Detachment) in rescue and resuscitation methods. He was commended during this time for rescues he had personally carried out.  On one occasion in 1917 Frank rescued two men and three women who had been carried out in the surf. The family presented him with an engraved silver teapot in appreciation. In 1919, Frank Stroud became the first recipient of Life Membership of the Cronulla Surf Life Saving Club.

After 1920, Frank Stroud returned to the hotel trade being associated with the Orange Grove Hotel in Redfern, the Grand Central Hotel in Elizabeth Street in the city and the Carlton Hotel in North Bondi.  After his retirement, the family lived in North Bondi.  Tragedy struck the family in July, 1931 when Audrey, aged 23, was electrocuted by a trailing wire that had become detached from a pole during a violent storm. Audrey was late reaching home so Frank was out looking for her when he came upon the accident. In trying to move Audrey from the swinging wire Frank was himself shocked. The incident was extensively reported in the Daily Telegraph.  Audrey was buried in Woronora Cemetery.

 

William Frank John Stroud died on 3 September, 1951 aged 72, as a result of an accident. He was cremated and his ashes placed with his parents in Woronora Cemetery -- Anglican Monumental, Section 1- 0019

 

Violet Henrietta Stroud died 8 May, 1950. She was cremated and her ashes placed with her husband in Woronora Cemetery.

 

William Stroud died 31 May, 1905 and was buried at Woronora Cemetery --  Anglican Monumental, Section 1-0019

 

Elizabeth Stroud died 6 June, 1931 and was buried at Woronora Cemetery --  Anglican Monumental, Section 1- 0019

 

Audrey Stroud died 6 July, 1931 and was buried at Woronora Cemetery --

Anglican Monumental  Section 1 – 0020

 

Colleen Passfield 2018

 

Click on the name PHYLLIS STROUD (FARLEIGH) 1905-2011 and the STROUD FAMILY at the heading of this story. You will be taken to the database entry for Phyllis  and her family.

 

References:

Trove

NSW BDM

Ancestry

England Census

Sands Directory

NSW Electoral Rolls

Sutherland Library/Oral History

Ryerson Index

Woronora Cemetery

The Cronulla Story – (Cronulla SLSC) Gary Lester

Sydney Anglican Parish Registers

Register of Coroners’ Inquests, 1821-1937

Crew and Passenger Lists, 1852-1930

Certificates for Publicans’ Licenses, 1830-1849, 1853-1899