Welcome | Database | Indexes | Copyright/Disclaimer | Login |
The Wunderlich Brothers, Ernest Julius (16/5/1859-11/4/1945), Frederick Otto (18/6/1861-12/5/1951) and Alfred (8/7/1865-12/7/1966), were born at Islington, London, to Charles Frederick Wunderlich and his German wife, Caroline nee Schmedes. Ernest began his education at Percy House College, London, and the Bender Institute, Weinheim, Germany. In the early 1870s the family moved to Switzerland where the brothers attended the public school. At the age of 16 Ernest studied architectural and mechanical drawing at the Ecole Polytechnic at Lausanne.
Working in London, Ernest met Fanny Amalia Hoesch, a talented musician and graduate of the Conservatorium of Cologne. They were married at Burtscheid, Germany on 15 May, 1885, and arrived in Sydney in July. Working as a manufacturers’ agent, Ernest began importing German stamped metal ceilings and erected some in Sydney Town Hall and the piano showrooms of Octavius Beale and William Paling.
Joined by his brother Alfred in 1887, Ernest took out his first patent for ‘an improved ceiling’ in April 1888. They sold their patents in 1889 to W H Rocke & Co. of Melbourne but redeemed them late in 1892 when the company’s Sydney branch became insolvent. The brothers then raised enough capital to form the Wunderlich Patent Ceiling and Roofing Co.Ltd (incorporated in 1904).
Otto, who had studied medicine at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital in London and practised there, reached Sydney in 1900 and set about improving the administrative, technical and scientific aspects of the company. In June 1908, the Wunderlichs and Rocke united to form Wunderlich Ltd. The three brothers became directors for life. The company opened branches in all states and New Zealand. Wunderlich panels were produced until the 1950s when changing tastes brought about the demise of this decorative product.
Ernest remained chairman until 1945 but was content to leave the running of the business to his brothers while he pursued cultural interests. He helped to establish the NSW Conservatorium of Music and was trustee and president of the Australian Museum in Sydney. An able amateur astronomer and a fellow of the British Astronomical Association, he set up an observatory at his holiday home on Gunnamatta Bay, Port Hacking. His autobiography All my Yesterdays was published in 1945 with a foreword by Neville Cardus the renowned English writer and music critic.
Survived by his only son, Ernest died on 11 April 1945 at Bondi Junction and was cremated without a service.
View the entry in the
database for
WUNDERLICH, Ernest Julius
(1859-1945) and family. Click on his name
at the heading of this page