Welcome | Database | Indexes | Copyright/Disclaimer | Login |
The Sutherland Hospital
After the Second World War the population of Sutherland Shire increased rapidly as many people sought land that was comparatively cheap and close to Sydney. Businesses developed and thrived in the area and the new shopping centres of Gymea and Kirrawee were established. However infrastructure was slow to keep pace leaving many roads unsurfaced and homes in the area unsewered. The closest public hospital was across the river at Kogarah. Community agitation began for a public hospital to be built within the Sutherland Shire. Fundraising efforts were held throughout the Shire by Hospital Auxiliaries, the Cronulla branch being particularly active with their monthly meetings and activities reported in the Observer .
A public meeting convened by Shire President E.S.Shaw
had been held in the Sutherland School of Arts on 9 February 1944 to elect three
representatives from each riding to form a Hospital Board of Directors. The
Hospital was incorporated on 31 March 1944 and the first meeting held on 2 June
1944. However progress was slow. A ten acre site,
Lehane’s Paddock, on the
corner of the Kingsway and Kareena Road was selected as a suitable site and the
land resumed in January 1946. Tenders were called in March 1947 but not accepted
till July 1949.
With great foresight, in 1948,
the Hospital Board considered the ten
acres resumed by the Government for the Hospital would in future prove too
small. Pressure was brought to bear on the Council to acquire the thirteen acres
of land between the hospital site and the railway line. Council decided to
borrow the necessary £5,000 for this purpose despite much opposition from those
who considered the land purchase should be a Government responsibility.
On Saturday 29 April 1950 Mr
A.J. Williams M.L.A. turned the first sod for the Sutherland Shire
Hospital. The small spade so used was later auctioned and purchased by Mr Frank
McDowell for £15. Hospital foundations did not commence till early 1952 but by
June work was suspended due to the inability to obtain reinforcing steel.
Erection began again in June 1953, the foundation stone being set by the Hon.
J.J. Cahill on 3 September 1955. It
was not until 25 March 1958 that the Sutherland Hospital was officially opened
by the Minister for Health, the Hon. W. Sheahan, who stated that the cost of the
Hospital had been “in the vicinity of two million pounds,” and that when fully
operational would have 288 beds, 100 of which would be immediately available. He
also referred to the “magnificent gift of x-ray equipment given to the hospital
by Australian Oil Refineries.”
The combined district Hospital Auxiliaries together with
Rotary, Lions and Apex Clubs conducted a fair in the Hospital grounds on the
opening day and raised over £1,000. There were processions from Miranda and
Caringbah arranged to arrive for the opening ceremony. Many organisations took
part including the R.S.L.,Surf Clubs, Girl Guides, Boy Scouts and St Johns
Ambulance Brigade.These processions were led by the Shire Band and the 45th
Battalion Band. The Hurstville Salvation Army Band played in front of the
Hospital
At the time of opening the Hospital consisted of five
floors. The ground floor was devoted to pathology, x-ray and outpatients, the
first floor male wards, the second floor female wards, third floor maternity and
the fourth floor was intermediate and private. The accompanying Nurses’ Home was
a three storey brick building accommodating 168 nurses in single rooms. There
was a large sitting room, also study and writing rooms. A suite was provided for
both the matron and deputy matron and quarters for eight resident medical
officers.
Between 1961 and 1977, when nurse training transitioned
from hospital based training to university training, 528 nurses graduated from
the Sutherland District Hospital. A list of these nurses who graduated from
Sutherland District Hospital can be accessed and searched for here:
Graduate Nurses from the Sutherland District Hospital
1961--1977